Sunday, August 20, 2017

24 Weeks

We've reached another milestone!  This week is the week of viability so if baby is born prematurely, he has a 50-70% chance of surviving outside of the womb.  In just two weeks, the likelihood of survival will increase to over 90%!  We're thankful our little babe is healthy, developing well and has reached this milestone at 24 weeks.

You guys, pregnancy brain is no joke!  I have straight-up forgot things within a few minutes which is a little embarrassing and frustrating.  I try to jot down as much as I can throughout the week so I remember what to write come Sunday, but it's a struggle.  I can't believe I forgot to include some of these things!

Back when I was 22-weeks along, I had an appointment with Dr. Friedman to go over the 20-week anatomy scan, remember?  Well, I forgot to mention that during the appointment Dr. Friedman struggled to get a reading of David's heart rate because David wouldn't stop kicking the Doppler wand!  Anytime he placed the device on my belly David would kick it!  I wish I had filmed the appointment--it was actually pretty funny!  The baby was spot-on kicking the Doppler wand and we could audibly hear each kick as it was coming through the speaker.   The doctor moved the wand around my belly in an attempt to get away from the baby's kicks but it wasn't long before David found it again and began kicking.

In fact, anytime I rest my hand on my belly he will inevitably kick it.  If you recall, the first few kicks I ever felt were after placing a bowl of cereal on my belly while laying in bed.  Trevor and I like to joke about what this means and which one of us he's more like.  As a kid, Trevor recalls he didn't like being hugged or touched, although his father is very affectionate with him.  However I'm kind of the same way as an adult, haha.  Whenever I sit with Trevor on the couch I'll ask him to scoot over because I like to spread out and have enough room to myself.  Although development-wise, it's very likely he's simply responding to stimuli; we like to contemplate his personality and envision who this little boy is.

Needless to say, this week has been filled with thoughts of who this little boy will be.  Between Trevor and I, I try to imagine who he'll resemble more.  Or will he look like one of our parents instead of us?  Maybe he'll have my brother's green eyes or Trevor's parents' blonde hair.  Most often I picture a little brown-haired, brown-eyed boy and this image alone makes my heart melt.  I can't wait to see him!

Over the years we've discussed how we want to raise our children, focusing especially on what to do if we ever had a boy.  Which in reality, this means we'll be raising a man.  It's important to us that our boy is chivalrous and takes care of people.  We want to teach him to open doors for others (especially his mom and sister/s--if he ever has any), to be kind always and courageous when he has to be, and to have integrity.  I pray he comes to know the Lord through experiencing our relationship with God as he watches us naturally put our trust in Him.


17 August 2017:  Happy 3-Year Anniversary, Jesus!



On Thursday, the anniversary of my baptism, I listened to an old song that I haven't heard in yeeeeeears!  I actually teared up while singing it and thinking of my baby boy.  I think I'll make something for the baby's nursery that includes lyrics from this song.

Lee Ann Womack - I Hope You Dance

Speaking of something else I forgot to mention, last week I had some terrible cramping.  It was pretty scary, actually.  I had on a pair of shorts underneath a dress and, although it wasn't uncomfortable at first, the waistband starting digging into my belly.  Any pressure on my belly seems to cause baby to press down on a nerve.  One night this week I attempted to sleep with the wedge pillow under my belly for extra support but in true David-fashion, he wouldn't stop kicking it.  He was actually kicking the pillow, guys.  After adjusting a bit I figured he would move around and stop but he was relentless and the cramps returned.  So again, the pressure on my belly caused him to move in such a way that he landed on a nerve.  To be honest, I'm not sure what the heck is going on but this baby is already running the roost, so to speak.  If he starts kicking the pillow now I just don't use it.  Those cramps are no joke and I want to avoid them at all costs.

Trevor's Updates:  Dreams of Homecoming + Song Dedication
This week Trevor mentioned he spent some time thinking of what his homecoming will be like.  He says he's envisioned seeing me from afar holding the baby, running up to me and embracing me before taking the baby into his arms for the first time.

He heard this song by The Hollies and said it reminded him of me.  :)  He said he loves it because it's about two people meeting and falling in love---and the girl chooses to miss her bus to stay chatting with him in the rain.  The lyrics "By August she was mine" is pretty fitting too.

Annnnd now it's on repeat in my house.


The Hollies - Bus Stop

Someday my name and hers are going to be the same.

Week-In-Review Pictures

My walking buddy!


The home Trevor was raised in.

I'm so flippin' exciteddddddd for bathtime!

Another weekend, another bead show.

My selections.  Mom's going to make me something.

Am I weird for loving these?  Haha.  The bigger one reminds me of Dia de Los Muertos and the other is a just a skull I thought was cool...



Shopping for folks back home.

How it goes.

Week 24 Photos



Cliché Goodness.





Week 24 Updates
 1.  Size of the baby?  Baby is 11.8 inches long and weighs about 1.3 pounds, about the size of a cantaloupe!
2.  What's developing this week?

3.  Current weight? 138.  +1lb from last week.  +21lbs pre-pregnancy.
4.  Movement?  Errday!  And night.  
5.  Sleep?  Sleep is sucky.  I toss and turn a lot and have trouble finding a position that keeps us both happy.  And to top it off, last night David kicked for hours!  Around 2am I walked around the house (the idea being to "rock him") just trying to get him to fall asleep, which worked.  Then, around 6am, my right pirformis flared up once more.
6.  Symptoms? 
  • Dry eyes.
  • Burping a lot.  Like, a lot.
  • Occasional heartburn.
  • Right piriformis flare ups.  Foam rolling helps a lot but it's super painful.  I set up an appointment with my primary doctor on base to begin the process of physical therapy.
  • First came bigger boobs and now nipples are following suit.
  • Belly button is flattening out.
  • One really bad charley horse early in the week.
  • Occasional cramping when pressure is applied to belly.
7.  Cravings and Aversions?  Craving pancakes but I'm being a good girl... for now.   If anyone offered to meet me at IHOP I would not say no, just sayin'.
8.  Best moment this week?  Mom feeling the baby kick 4 times in a row.  A notable mention is a stranger came up and congratulated me on my pregnancy.  
9.  Prayer requests?
  • Please pray for Trevor's hand.  He injured it and it's not really treatable.  Just a lot of inflammation but it's painful.
  • Please pray that my body continues to grow and stretch well to meet the needs of the baby.  It almost feels as though there's no room... 
Praise Report
Thank you for your continued prayer!  Champie seems to be doing well two-weeks out from antibiotics.  It's such a relief to see him behaving like his old self again, thank God!

10.  What are you looking forward to for next week?  I went to Target last week and bought a ton of cleaning supplies.  My plan is to wipe down every square inch of this place and I'm stoked!  #EarlyNesting or just a #CleanFreak?

No comments:

Post a Comment