Sunday, September 3, 2017

26 Weeks ///\\\ 6 Months!

As we step into September we can officially say we're 6 months pregnant!  This means we're two-thirds of the way there!

I've been missing Trevor a lot this week.  Spending time with friends is freeing from my daily routine and the walks and talks are gratifying but man, I miss Trevor so much afterwards!  My guess is I'm struggling with muscle memory, so to speak.  Usually after hanging out with friends, I come home to a welcoming, happy-to-see-me husband who, by the time I walk through the front door, has had his fill of video games and Netflix.  Oh, how I miss that smile of his and his warm greetings.

Other than that, my mom, Ashley and I have been working on planning an Indiana-Jones-themed baby shower for David.  Some aspects of it have been stressful which it shouldn't be, so hopefully things clear up soon.  As for me, I'm looking forward to laughing together, having fun and celebrating this baby with my California people!  And, I mean, it's an Indiana-Jones-themed baby shower... need I say more?  I can't wait!

28 August 2017:  Mom Discovers My Blog  ||  Stop Filming Me!
Okay so, just for the record, she knew I had a baby-related/lifestyle blog.  Every week after I take the belly photos, I send her a screenshot of all of the images so she can #followthebelly.  I sent her an invitation to read it and get this, she deleted it!  She thought it was spam... 😂  On Monday, we took her car to the mechanic and she looked over the blog for the very first time, which was hilarious.

(The baby was kicking, hence why I was filming my belly... but mom stole the show!).

29 August 2017:  OBGYN Appointment + Fetal Movement Video
On Tuesday, we saw little David again!  As you can see in the video, Dr. Friedman is not a great sonographer.  In fact, he's not a sonographer at all as he's an obstetrician.  Apparently the clinic's technician left right before I transferred there.  Back in Colorado, the images of David were crisp, clear and our technician knew what she was doing so we were able to see baby a lot better.  Granted, baby was also smaller then.  Dr. Friedman mentioned I'll have another anatomy scan in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to that.


During the appointment David had the hiccups, which I could feel!  It's incredible to now recognize the difference between hiccups and kicks, and it makes sense the hiccups are softer sensations and typically more rhythmic.  Dr. Friedman hardly moved the ultrasound wand (did not glide the wand, only picked it up once), which made me a little nervous of the heat damaging cellular tissue.  The doctor commented on David's activity level to which my mom looked over at me and smiled.  We both know he's a busy little guy and most days it feels as though he's rearranging furniture in there!  Except the furniture pieces are my internal organs...

A few times I eagerly wanted to reach over and grab the wand from him to see if I could navigate the baby any better--hey, it would've been worth a try!  ;)  Baby's heartbeat was around 150, which is normal for him.  At our last appointment his heartbeat was 154.  According to the results from the 20-week anatomy scan, I have a posterior placenta and baby looks great.  Next week, I need to schedule an appointment to have my glucose levels checked for gestational diabetes.  And even though I'm on track to gain around 40 pounds, my OB says my weight is fine.

David wiggled his fingers again, like he did during the last ultrasound--which, back then, Dr. Friedman commented the baby has "piano fingers."  However, seeing his little dancing fingers left an impression on me this time.

Later that evening I remembered those little fingers on that little hand and an intense urge to embrace my baby washed over me.  It was as if I was suddenly missing him, needing to see his face and hold his little body.  This tiny waving hand acts as my connection to a baby boy who is my son!  Who is my baby.  When I close my eyes and picture those teeny-tiny waltzing fingers the urge rises up in me all over again. 

Before becoming pregnant all of this was hypothetical.  The thought maybe one day we'll have kids has shifted into counting down the days to baby's birth.  If you really know me, you know I was careful never to say "When we have kids" because I simply didn't know if this was possible for our family.  So many struggle with infertility and having never tried to conceive before, I was careful not to assume anything.

The thought of his small hand makes me smile.  Maybe he'll wiggle those fingers just the same once he's born.  Maybe he'll try his hand at playing an instrument, pun-intended.  Or perhaps he'll use his hands for tough, grueling work like daddy does.  If I could choose for him, I would give him hands like Trevor's--strong but gentle hands that comfort and protect.  Hands that not only guide, but also serve.


Week-in-Review Pictures

Belly picture at Ashley's!

Mom building the Ikea dresser for David.

I snagged this $250 bassinet from a consignment store for $99!
More on this purchase soon!

Yeah, this came home with me.

Those lips!  😍


I hope our babies inherit his long lashes.

Week 26 Photos







Week 26 Updates
1.  Size of the baby?  Baby boy measures about 14 inches and weighs about 1.7 pounds, about as big as kale!
2.  What's developing this week?

3.  Current weight? 140.  +1lb from last week.  +23lbs pre-pregnancy.
4.  Movement?  He's working my last nerve!  But really... sometimes it's like he's pushing on a nerve.
5.  Sleep?  It's been hot as heck so sleep isn't great.  The $10 body pillow I got from Target is one of my favorite things this pregnancy.
6.  Symptoms? 
  • Last few weeks I've been cognoscente to use my arms to push myself up from a supine (laying down) position.  It's tough because I'd like to just use my abs but I don't want to develop diastasis recti.
  • Missing Trevor a lot.
  • Sometimes belly is lopsided.  He seems to like snuggling on my right side.
  • I feel heavier.  Those 23 pounds are weighing on me.
  • Irregularity.  Started taking natural psyllium husk fiber capsules.
  • Really bad heartburn after having dinner with my brother at an Indian restaurant.  I took two Tums.  Otherwise, I haven't had anymore instances of heartburn.
7.  Cravings and Aversions?  Nothing really.  The thought of cloth diapering still grosses me out if I really think about it.
8.  Best moment this week?  The overwhelming urge to hold my baby in my arms... NOW.
9.  Prayer requests?
  • Please pray that God would lead Trevor as he navigates through post-deployment employment opportunities.
10.  What are you looking forward to for next week?  The Carter's clothes I ordered will hopefully arrive next week as they're not here yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment