![]() |
| Beginning of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters! |
Can YOU believe it? I almost can't believe it. Although feeling like I'm carrying a gallon of milk around my waist helps this fact really sink in, if you get me. And I'm sometimes out of breath while talking to people, which is made worse if I'm super excited about the topic at hand. He's been pushing on my lungs, bladder and back but I adore his movements throughout the day. At night I just lay and stare at my belly and it blows my mind to try and picture his little body in there. I've started thinking of what to pack in my hospital bag and, if you're looking for me, I'm probably at Target scouring through the clearance rack trying to find cute little outfits for him.
It's been crazy busy around here as we gear up for the baby shower in four weeks. As mentioned, it's an Indiana-Jones-inspired baby shower (how freaking cool is that?!) and I'm elated to be putting things together for it. Today I worked on the invitations which will be sent out next week. These are so cool that I'm planning to send one to Trevor so he can experience it.
(pictures to come)
During the past few weekends, mom and I have traveled all over Southern California as we worked to complete the Bead Shop Hop. Last time we completed it was before I was married so it's been awhile since I've participated in this little shindig. As you may have gathered, my mom enjoys making jewelry and no lie, she's REALLY good at it too! She specializes in seed beads and does a lot of stitch work, which means her pieces are painstakingly detailed and beautiful. It's incredible to see her work in person. So, needless-to-say, I chose to join in on this for her sake but I had a great time.
Mom makes friends wherever she goes and many of the shop owners know her by name. With every shop we patronized, mom would gladly introduce me but seemed especially elated to stretch her hand across my belly as she introduces her grandson. I would add that he's due on her birthday and her smile grew even wider as others excitedly gasped. Now that I think of it, that has to be my favorite part of the whole Bead Shop Hop experience---my mom's sweet smile and gentle pats on my belly as she shared the news of her growing grandson.
Yesterday we drove down to the San Diego area near Marine Corps base Camp Pendleton. We rode alongside several buses full of new marines shipping off to their next duty station. Mom must have sensed what I was feeling, as only a mother could. She asked if I was sad I never got to serve to which I replied yes. It's a catch-22 as I love the life that I have. I love my husband, the experiences I've had; both educationally and spiritually and I wouldn't want to give up anything I've learned in my adult life. And yet, I wish I could have served. I cried a little to myself as I watched the buses pass by. At this point, I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to join again--or if I'd even really want to anymore.
Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed of becoming a mom. In fact, when adults would ask me the age-old question, "What do you want me to be when you grow up?" I would answer with "a mommy" and all of my early grade-school questionnaires are riddled with descriptions of how excited I was to someday become a mom. Aside from the fact that I'm now 28-weeks pregnant, I recognize this is the perfect time in our lives to become parents. We feel emotionally ready to give ourselves to this baby and to work hard to be loving, patient parents to him. It's crucial I continue to pray that the grievance of saying goodbye to military will not dampen the experience of becoming a new mommy and fulfilling that bigger, better dream. One that I get to share with the love of my life, who will simultaneously become a daddy to the same little human being.
Many of you send texts letting me know you're praying over these little prayer requests of mine---thank you for your diligence! I continue to share our prayer requests because 1. YOU continue to faithfully pray for us and 2. God hears your prayers! His answers come in His timing but I feel the impact of your fellowship---The Holy Spirit is real, people! And it's lifting me up big time.
I'm trusting God's plans are better and more fulfilling. In a moment of prayer while I was trying to cease from crying during the drive, I relinquished the dream of serving in the military. Only time will tell if God takes the desire away completely or if He provides an opportunity for me to be in the military in the future. But for now I'm giving thanks for where I'm at, who I'm married to and the impending birth of our firstborn son who will launch me into my earliest, most meaningful ambition as of yet---becoming a mommy.
15 September 2017: Registry Making and Maternity Shopping with a Friend + 2nd Glucose Test
So, I took pictures of my adorable, fellow-preggo first-time-momma friend but she has yet to publicly announce her pregnancy so out of respect for her and her husband, I can't post the pictures. BUT DARNIT, I WISH I COULD! It was so much fun helping her set up her baby registry at BuyBuyBaby and sharing with her some of what I've learned over the past few months. Lots of mommas have shared their tried-and-true tips with me and I was happy to spread those bits of wisdom onto her. She treated me to lunch afterwards and then we went to Ross and scored a few maternity tops! I was in desperate need of some short-sleeve maternity shirts and I found a few cute ones that should last through all of my pregnancies. If you're interested in seeing what I bought, I'll post that haul next week as well. The Carter's order arrived but was missing a few items so I'll hopefully have that ready for you guys next week.
After hanging out with my friend, I drove to Dr. Friedman's office so his assistant could take a blood sample. As you may recall from last week, I threw up 50 minutes into the glucose test. Dr Friedman mentioned it's no wonder I puked as I was borderline hypoglycemic. Most have a fasting glucose level of 40 and mine was somewhere in the low 30's with my initial test. We'll probably receive the results of this test on Tuesday when I meet with him for next appointment.
Week-in-Review Pictures
![]() |
| Oh, the endless amount of trips to Hobby Lobby for Baby Shower supplies. |
![]() |
| Belly at blood drawl. |
![]() |
| Mom cracking up at lunch. |
![]() |
| Mom picked out charms to represent her and David's initials. |
![]() |
| Found this gem while picking up a new battery at Pepboys. Mom is so excited to try it out! |
![]() |
| Skyping with the Trevor. |
![]() |
| Fedora beads... |
Week 28 Updates
1. Size of the baby? Baby weighs 2 1/4 pounds and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heel, about the size of a large eggplant!
3. Current weight? 141. +1lb from last week,
4. Movement? Strong kicks.
5. Sleep? It's either getting better or I'm used to it. What can I say? Waking up several times to pee and sometimes not being able to fall back asleep are part of the job now.
6. Symptoms?
- Nausea when bending over.
- Shortness of breath when talking.
- Increase in strawberry freckles.
- Inflamed piriformis. The doctor at El Segundo AFB should be calling next week with my PT referral.
7. Cravings and Aversions? Nah.
8. Best moment this week? Seeing mom's smile as she shares the news of her grandson.
9. Prayer requests? For protection against negative thinking.
10. What are you looking forward to for next week? Appointment on Tuesday, mailing off invitations and hopefully spending more time on the Mama Natural Birth Class.Week 28 Photos
![]() |
| Mom: "Wait, should we 'comb' baby's hair?" |














No comments:
Post a Comment