Sunday, November 19, 2017

37 Weeks = (Early) Full-Term!

Full-term!  Albeit early full-term, but baby is considered full-term now!  Woohoo!  T-minus three weeks or twenty-one days until David's due date!

Not 100% sure but I think I've been experiencing some Braxton Hicks contractions this week.  Although there's no pain involved, my belly tightens up and becomes hard all over.  Other days I've had period-like aches at the base of my belly.  Among those pains, the lower-back pain is real.  Feeling him kick and wiggle brings joy to my heart but man... I'm just about ready to be done with this pregnancy!  I would love to bend forward and stretch out those lower-back muscles!

On other news, I've tried to eat dates.  Really, I have.  Without going into too much detail, eating dates during the third trimester may help prepare the cervix and reduce labor time.  But man, I hate dates!  And I'm struggling to eat them as they're too sugary for me--gives me a headache.  Next week I will attempt to mix a few into a smoothie otherwise I'll just keep snacking on Larabars.  Drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea has been a struggle too as I'm not a big tea drinker and haven't prioritized it yet.  With three weeks or so left to go, I need to step it up.  And as much as I'm dreading it, I'll be adding in perineal massage as well.  Let's hope all of these tasks really pave the way for an easy labor!

14 November 2017:  Baby's First 3D Ultrasound! + Painful Cervical Exam
Exactly one month after our Indiana-Jones-themed baby shower, we got to see our little one in 3D!  It's such a gift to finally see a glimpse of his little face!  Gotta say, this gets me so excited to deliver him and hold him in my arms.  Ahh, David, mommy cannot wait!


Baby looks healthy and he's head-down, ready for delivery!  He's growing as he should and everything looks good--Thank you, Jesus!  

He was laying in his usual position; back to the left, feet just below the right-side of my ribs.  He's measuring at 7 pounds already and it's estimated he'll be about 8.5lbs.  If he's a big baby he'll be taking after me as I was almost 8 pounds (delivered 2-weeks early), while Trevor was around 6 pounds (delivered a few days late).  A few of my friends believe the weight-estimate is off, and I'm hoping they're right.  The doctor mentioned even though he's not a tiny baby he'll still be an appropriate size for a vaginal birth.

Guys, starring at his picture is my new favorite hobby.  The day of the appointment I had trouble looking away.  I can't help but study him.  This little face belongs to my baby.  These little hands are my son's hands.  I find it so adorable that he seems to be holding his own hand, or maybe a foot.  Pretty soon I'll grasp each little finger for myself, and each little toe.  

He may end up looking different than his ultrasound picture, but I swear baby boy looks a lot like his daddy!  After the appointment I called Trevor as I forwarded David's picture to him and his reaction was, "I think the boy looks like me!"  My mom and best friend say they can see me in him, mostly around the eyes, but it's a pleasure seeing so much of my husband in my son's face.  The idea of David being Trevor's mini-me is beyond precious to me--I can't wait to see our baby face-to-face! 

What do you guys think?
 
While one of my doctor visits went well, the other one was not as enjoyable.  Dr. Friedman listened to baby's heartbeat again which was around 142 like last time and then he performed a cervical exam.  He placed a bit of lube on one finger then quickly rammed it up my vagina and I screamed out in pain.  Instead of apologizing he responded, "These visits will prepare you for the cervical checks during labor.  Trust me, I'm much gentler!"  As if I'm supposed to be grateful for the pain?  I was pissed.

The take-away information is I haven't dilated or effaced at all but baby's head is right there, apparently.  Dr. Friedman said he could feel the baby's head.  There's another cervical exam scheduled for this Tuesday and I plan on requesting the nurse perform the check.  If she can't I may decline it altogether.  Of course I want to know if I've progressed but it's unacceptable to treat my body with such force.  And obviously, things are tight down there, I get it.  And a baby's head is about to push itself through it anyway but this is different.  The doctor could go slower, he could apply more lube and I refuse to allow him to enter my body again with that same bedside manner.

On a positive note, the results of the GBS test are in and it's negative!  Glad to have the opportunity to labor in the hospital tub.

Trevor's Updates:  Thanksgiving Deployment Box Fail + Career Decisions
Well, it wasn't a total fail as it arrived and he was able to eat most of the items I sent.  But here's a few pictures of the box I sent to him:






And here's what he received:

Sad day.

Good thing I took "before" pictures!  One of the almond milk containers burst, cards were soaked in milk (although thankfully still legible), and his chocolate pumpkins were left inedible.  Oh well, I tried.  Everything else was in-tact and unaffected by the explosion so there weren't too many casualties, I suppose.  And he's letting the cards air dry in hopes of keeping them.  As far as the milk situation goes, the base received a shipment of powered whole milk so he's been using that with his eggnog mix and he says it tastes pretty darn good! 

This week Trevor and I have prayerfully decided to move forward with submitting him for active duty service.  He sent a request to his chain of command back home in Colorado and we're working on putting together a list of bases for the "dream sheet."  For our non-military friends, a dream sheet is a list of 10 military bases Trevor's requesting to be stationed at.  Our top picks are Japan, Germany and one US-pick of Alaska.  Trevor's waiting to be relinquished from his Colorado command so we've got a bit more time to put together the list.  The dream sheet, although a nice concept, may not result in our favor--lots of folks don't get stationed at the base they request so please join is in praying that whatever base we end up at:
  1. Provides for us to grow spiritually.
  2. Is safe and a location we can be at together (as some bases do not allow families to join the service member).
  3. Is a location where Trevor is less likely to receive deployment or TDY orders from.  TDYs are usually a year-long venture away from family and it's one of my biggest concerns, aside from him being stationed at a non family-friendly base.
Please pray.  We need it and we're trusting in God to provide for us to be together; if it be His will.  I can't stand the idea of being separated anymore, especially with a baby in the picture now.  With that said, I just have to say... this deployment has been such a great thing for us.  We prayed that God would use this time to glorify Himself in our relationships--and He has!  My brother, who isn't a believer, is being changed by the Holy Spirit and he doesn't even know it!  Trevor has been reading scripture-based books which have impacted his way of thinking.  The relationship with my mom has been strengthened and we are truly sisters in Christ.  I swear, God is good!  Separation is hard but God is greater than our pain and where He guides, He surely provides.

One little thing I ought to mention is I've been singing a particular song to the baby since early in the pregnancy.  Truth is, I initially sang this song a lot because it's one of my favorites.


One of the pregnancy books I read mentions singing a song over and over to the baby.  The idea being once the baby is born, singing the same song will bring him audible womb-like comfort.  Well, I had already been singing this particular song so I switched the song to direct it to David, with reference to God.

Oh, I've heard a thousand stories of what they think He's like
But I've heard the tender whispers of love in the dead of night
And He tells me that He's pleased
And that I'm never alone


He's a good, good father
It's who He is, it's who He is, it's who He is
And you're loved by Him
It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are.

Oh and I've seen many searching for answers far and wide
But I know we're all searching
For answers only God provides
'Cause He knows just what we need
Before we say a word


He's a good, good father
It's who He is, it's who He is, it's who He is
And you're loved by Him
It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are.


Because He is perfect in all of His ways
He is perfect in all of His ways
He is perfect in all of His ways to us

Thankfully, unlike me, David will know the love of a father--by way of his loving daddy, Trevor.  My testimony is not so fortunate in that area, but Jesus restores what is broken.  This love isn't artificial or make-believe, trust me!  Without Christ, I would be someone else.  I would not be myself.  Above all else in life all I want for my children is for them to know who God is and experience Him as I have.  Ultimately, they may choose to turn away, that's their choice.  But I pray that through Trevor and I, they experience God; as God is the very definition of love.

Week-in-Review Pictures


My badass momma!

Thanks for the early-Christmas present, Trev!  ;)

Week 37 Updates
1.  Size of the baby?  At 37 weeks pregnant, baby is the size of a head of romaine lettuce. Baby measures about 19.1 inches. Average baby weight at 37 weeks is 6.3 pounds, and baby is gaining about half an ounce each day.
2.  What's developing this week?
3.  Current weight?  To be honest, I didn't think to weigh myself this week as I haven't been weighing on an empty stomach anymore.  Slips my mind.
4.  Movement?  Some nights he won't stop.
5.  Sleep?  Sucks because of the piriformis flareups.
6.  Symptoms?
  • Lightning crotch.  Oh Laaaaawd, the lightning crotch!  Ouch.
  • Lower-back pain.
  • Achy legs.
  • Hot.  Like, literally... everyone else is cold and I'm running hot.
  • Belly holds up boobs, hah!
  • Lower belly pressure and period-like lower-belly aches.
  • Vagina feels sore when I walk.
  • Piriformis pain, as usual.
  • Hard, tight belly; Braxton Hicks?
  • Itchy belly.
7.  Cravings and Aversions?  Nah.
8.  Best moment this week?  Seeing baby boy, of course!
9.  Prayer requests?  
  • As mentioned above, please pray over where Trevor is stationed.  Thanks, you guys!  
  • Please also pray Trevor would come home in time for the birth of David, our anniversary and Christmas.
  • That my cervix would begin to dilate.
10.  What are you looking forward to for next week?  Thanksgiving, y'all!  And a 2nd deployment-date with Trevor!

Week 37 Photos






Trevor was curious if I appeared pregnant from behind.





No comments:

Post a Comment