Tuesday, February 20, 2018

12 Weeks Old


14 February 2018:  David's 1st Valentine's Day! + Importance of Important (11w1d)
Our Valentine's Day was a bit different this year than I had anticipated.  As you may know from last week, our little family of three traveled up north to the Paso Robles area to stay a few nights with Trevor's mom and dad.  Prior to Trevor's return home from the deployment, I felt God encourage me to plan a trip for him to spend quality time with them.  Just so happens Valentine's Day winds up smack dab in the middle of this quick trip.

Initially, we only planned to stay a few nights but I could tell Trevor wished to stay longer so we pushed back our plans to leave.  We've been having a great time and I'm grateful for his family's hospitality in taking care of our (and the baby's) needs.  Trevor's mom will often bring me a plate of food or something to drink as I'm resting in the bedroom nursing David.  Early this morning I woke up to a chocolate "bouquet" of roses and a teether toy for David--a sweet Valentine's Day gift from Sabrina for the baby and I.

Our first night here was rough on David's routine and he and I didn't get much sleep.  The baby didn't cry at all but the unevenness of the pack n' play mattress meant he stirred all night--poor guy.  Eventually, he wound up sleeping in the cozy rock n' play and the pack n' play became our diaper changing station for the week.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  So glad we overpacked.

Though we're away from the normal comforts of home, we're relishing our time here.  There's no shortage of chests for David to rest against and being with Trevor's parents has a way of rejuvenating him.  The past year brought many changes in our lives; the pregnancy, overseas deployment and birth of our baby boy, and Trevor beams with pride as he gladly tells of his experiences with his relatives.

One particular night this week stands out above the rest. 

Terry, Trevor and I sat around the dinner table conversing together long after everyone else had finished their meals.  Over the past twelve years the three of us have had many moments such as this--and the conversation is always enjoyable.  As Trevor nestles a sleeping David, I note to Terry what a great father Trevor is.  Terry replies, "It's important to him--He was always meant to be a loving father; a great dad.  And he is just that."

While Terry's speaking I peer over at Trevor whose gentle hand is cupped just below the baby's chin, pulling back the blanket from his face.  Trevor smiles at David as he soaks up his father's words and I can only imagine what this moment means to him.  His own daddy gets to see him daddying.  It's a beautiful thing.

Terry's words resonate with me and I take note of the word:  Important.  I find I can't formulate a better word to describe how intentional Trevor has been with David.  This is it.  Raising this child will be our lives' best work.

Children are not a distraction from most important work.
They are the most important work.
C.S. Lewis




David lol

He's not amused.



Video:  Valentine's Day Gift for Daddy! 💩


15 February 2018:  Paso Robles Museum + Sweet Sendoffs  (11w2d)






Desiree requested a picture of me next to "No-Butt Dude"

What an awkward family photo.














Not lacking in enthusiasm, Trevor's dad is known for his energetic, charismatic nature.  He's a sweet guy with lots of love for others.  While the family gathers in the livingroom on the last night of our visit, Terry exclaims how perfectly matched Trevor and I are genetically.  That our baby is perfect.  These comments make Trevor and I chuckle, but Terry presses on.  He's an encourager whose level of support is unprecedented.  I appreciate his sentiments.

Trevor's family passes the handheld baby monitor from person to person as the baby sleeps in the bedroom.  We discuss Grandparent titles and I reason to Terry that if he so desires, he can simply be referred to as Grandpa; instead of Grandpa Terry or Grandpa Coles, as I'm estranged from my father.  Although usually quite talkative, Terry smiles tenderly as he gazes into the monitor resting in his hands.  The baby begins to fidget and "talk" as he does after waking, and without mention Terry sets the monitor down, stands up and walks out of the room.

Over the system we hear a soft whisper from Terry as he enters the baby's room.  David tracks him with his eyes as Terry leans over the baby's rocker. 

So glad we videotaped his interaction with the baby.



Here's some of the sweet things Grandpa told David:
"You're such a good boy.  Did you know that?  And I'm you're Grandpa!" 

"You're perfect--you're so handsome!  Since your first 5 seconds in the world!"

"Yeah, you've got a great life ahead of you.  You've got a beautiful mommy and daddy.  You'll try to baseball.  Grandpa will throw you a groundball.  You've got to catch it!"

I'm sure Terry was well aware of our eavesdropping ears but it doesn't matter.  We love him for it.

16 February 2018:  Sayonara, Coles Clan!  +  Hello Santa Barbara + Valentine's Dinner Celebration (11w3d)
With all of our things stuffed back into the Jeep, our family set out for the road!  After the standard goodbye hugs and kisses, we were off.  Only problem... traffic.

By the time we hit the Santa Barbara area we encountered some pretty heavy traffic.  Each of us bearing a hungry belly, we stop to nurse and find a place to eat.  As we walk around the city streets we stumble upon a beautiful, large park and finally take David's 11-week pictures--which had been weighing heavily on my mind.  Between the dogs, cats and chickens, Trevor's family have plenty of animals running around and although I remembered, I never felt comfortable placing David on the floor for his weekly photoshoot.  And, not gonna lie, the fact I didn't take his picture on the day of his 11-week milestone bothers me a bit but life goes on and his pictures are just a few days late... my bad.


Nice lady saw Trevor taking pictures of David and I so she asked if she could take a picture for us!

Professional.




Trevor spots a restaurant along the road boasting lights and large windows.  He suggests we celebrate Valentine's Day right then and there.  As we walk toward the entry of the restaurant I think back to some advice I gave my then-engaged friend during her bridal shower--choose to stay newlyweds and celebrate every little joy.  At every turn I'm amazed with the incredible man I get to experience life with--and I choose to say yes to happiness with him, regardless of the calendar date.




This classy, cozy restaurant oozed romance--granted, we waltzed in there with our hoodies, flipflops and baby carrier so we looked a bit out-of-place.  We sat by an unlit fireplace and ordered from a special Valentine's Day menu, which the restaurant chose to offer all weekend long.




While we wait for our food to arrive Trevor calls the nearby Air Force Base to request lodging for two nights.  Lucky for us, only one room was left available as hotels booked up for President's Day weekend.  A shared dessert accompanied each of our meals. Full from dinner, we save the sweets for when we returned back to the hotel room.  When baby fell asleep, we hopped in a warm bath and ate our pastries together. 

Sleeping with his arm raised.


17 February 2018:  R&R, Valentine's Day Inspired Crafts + Baby Photoshoot (11w4d)
Recuperation trumped all other would-be Saturday plans.  Having just spent almost a week with Trevor's family, we weren't yet ready to dive back into life with mine, ha!  Come Saturday morning all that was left for us to do was relax, watch movies and... blog.  :)




And of course, we had to take some Valentine's Day inspired pictures of Davey!

Somebody loves his daddy!





Obligatory Nakey Baby Photos





The struggle!









😍


18 February 2018:  Homeward Bound (11w5d)
After sucking up every last minute of our approved late checkout, we hit the road once again.  The smooth, coastal-view filled drive home along the 101 brought David's very first roadtrip to an end.





19 February 2018:  Home, Sweet Home! + Grandmama's New Valentine (11w6d)



😂










Video:  Grandmama's New Valentine


20 February 2018:  12 Weeks Old!  +  PT Reunion






My great PT who helped with my piriformis pain during pregnancy!

 I gave birth the same day as our last appointment!  Ernest is a nice guy and a great physical therapist.  We talked about all-things parenting and he shared lots of encouragement with me.  We arranged an appointment with him just so he could meet the boy that was in the belly.

Grumpy elevator ride.



The toes!















No comments:

Post a Comment