Tuesday, June 19, 2018

29 Weeks Old


There's something sweet and tender about footie PJs, and this one is extra special as it matches his newborn swaddle blankie.

Wednesday, 13 June 2018 











Sharing his love of smelling coffee with his boy.





Holding the Dory plushie daddy brought home from SA.





Thursday, 14 June 2018








Friday, 15 June 2018:  Baby's 1st Jumperoo!  +  Mommy Snuggles



















Saturday, 16 June 2018:  Faith Initiative to Abolish Trafficking Seminar 
Blurry because Dad is the best at rocking our little one to sleep.

His tiny tush!










David and Auntie Katie!



My girl emceeing the event!




17 June 2018:  Father's Day + Daddy's Perspective:  A Collection of Trevor's Deployment Pictures
A little less than a year ago, Trevor boarded a plane heading overseas.  Full of worry, I asked him to text and call often, just to make sure he's safe.


He sends a picture of himself awaiting departure, smiling with a faint, weak expression.

Once he arrived in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the countdown began.  Finally, we're counting down towards togetherness, not separation.  In order to speak privately, he often stood in the mudroom of his doublestack barracks--which was inconvenient and close to the blazing Saudi Arabian heat.


He worked three full weeks straight, each shift lasting 12-hours long as his unit struggles to arrange schedules.  His crew grew tired and ready for a much needed break.  Albeit taxing on his body, the constant work kept him busy.  His immune system weakened, he caught a cold as his body quickly adjusted to an intense climate and an opposite time zone.

His spent his first off-duty weekend involved catching up on sleep.



I filmed each OB appointment so he never missed an ultrasound or doppler reading.  Each video is awfully sparse and painfully similar to the last, but it helped us to feel together while apart.  We stayed connected by chatting at least once per day, although occasionally missing a day or two if he was considerably drained from work.  Worst case scenario, we went without speaking for four days.  During some busier weeks we checked-in with each other but didn't have time to really connect.  The quick hi-how-are-you conversations enabled us to rest easy at night while the deeper, more meaningful conversations often had to wait until his day off.

In an effort to overcome the strain of separation, Trevor planned a date for us.  The internet connection failed us on several occasions, but his idea had me on cloud 9.  His nighttime, my morning.  "This Monday, grab a bite to each then meet me at a little coffee shop for our date."  Can't say I was ever more excited for Monday morning to arrive.


His coffee shop.

My coffee shop.

His tedious work schedule left us with little time to connect during his off-hours.  Even so, Trevor manages to make the most out of the time he has.  He's really something special!  We had two more dates after this one and I felt so very loved as a result.

Whenever I remembered to do so, I held up Trevor's "All The Ways I Love You" storybook to my belly so the baby could hear Daddy's voice.

Once we worked out the kinks in our schedules, we often spoke twice per day.  The first chat during his workout and the second at the end of his work day.

Collage of many different days over the course of his deployment spent at the base gym.

It wasn't long before Trevor made friends and scoured for goodies at the Airmen's Attic (It's like a free thrift-shop), and in true Trevor-fashion, found a bike to fix up to get himself around the base.  In scorching temperatures, bikes are a commodity and very expensive.  He used parts from three broken-down, abandoned bikes to rebuild one into useable condition.



Back home I took pleasure in arranging care-packages for him and set a goal of mailing at least one care-package per month, to which I was successful with.  The themed boxes included activities for Trevor and his buddies to enjoy together, if Trevor wanted to share.  And looking back, I definitely sent way too much candy.


Letters from family & friends from the babyshower!


Thanks Anna & Dustin!  Sheep in a Jeep is one of our favorites to read with D!

Dabbling in Dubai:  Trevor's Visit Off-Base

Eager to explore his surroundings, Trevor made plans with friends to see the nearby sights.  

He and his group of guys sought out for the outdoor mall which boasts lively crowds with merchants selling trinkets along the city streets, urging soldiers, "Americans!  Americans!  Come see!"  At dinner, Trevor devoured a shawarma which he says tastes delicious. 




"No-Shave November" is wildly celebrated among Air Force men, and unfortunately, Trevor jumped on the band wagon.  Some wives appreciate their husbands' mustache... I'm not one of them.  If you're unsure what no-shave November is... google it.  It's real.

In fact, because our little guy arrived almost two-weeks ahead of schedule, Trevor's mustache makes an unwelcome appearance in all of his screenshots in the delivery room.  Despite the 'stache, these photos mean everything to me.  I don't have any pictures of myself holding our fresh-from-the-oven, newborn-baby David, other than these grainy, somewhat blurry, candid, amazingly beautiful screenshot photos.

My favorite.


Unexpectedly early and remarkably quick, David made his entrance and into mommy's arms in no-time.  I'll never fully understand the agonizing depth of Trevor's longing to be with us that day.  Missing this moment was unnatural for us.  For someone's whose desire for fatherhood runs so deep, it stems back into childhood.  This moment was never met for him to miss.

He acknowledges the hurt of missing out--but you would almost never suspect it as his expression of joy was so great.  Our son is happy, healthy and... here!  His major mention of remorse involved not being able to support me by making meals, diaper changes and all the little care-taking acts after a baby is born.  Since returning home, my sweet gentleman prepares every meal, changes most diapers and will rock our baby to sleep if he needs extra cuddles and mama is in the shower.
















Although not physically in the room, Trevor was with us.  He encouraged me daily through skype and phone calls.  We spent the small, quiet moments together as I placed the phone nearby during Diaper changes and feedings so Trevor could observe.  My heart filled with joy as I held the phone in sight of David while Trevor watched him, as per his request.  No words or much speaking required.  Just taking the in the sights of the baby, watching his movements and listening to David's tiny newborn noises connected my boys to each other.  His return home couldn't come soon enough!


Trevor,

When it comes to saying yes to you as my husband, the decision was a no-brainer.  I mean, really.  Funny how when you smile, sometimes if I catch you at the right angle, instantly I'm transported back to when we first met.  When we first got to know each other--when those sexy, sweet smiles were brand new to me.  As a boyfriend, you were patient, generous and respectful.  You've been a good listener from the start and the giver of the world's best bear hugs since always.

As a husband you never cease to amaze me.  You've walked alongside me in my bouts of depression and encouraged me to walk in the sun when I hid myself away.  You've proven your depth of love for others is bottomless.  Thank you for loving me even when I was unlovable.  Your love is truly unconditional.

We don't always choose who surrounds us in life, specifically speaking, we don't pick our parents.  Not everyone is blessed with a loving father.  It's clear my "dad" wasn't someone who cared much for my family or for me.  And in some bizarre alternative universe, if I could choose who my father is, I'd want him to be just like you, Trevor.

David is only six and half months old and he knows his daddy so well!  His face lights up when he sees you first thing in the morning.  He loves you!  You're the baby whisperer.  The ultimate comforter.  The best burper.  The sweetest snuggler.  The thoughtful partner.  Your touch is intentional and unhurried, as though you cherish every single interaction with our son.  

Daddy gets the biggest smiles from bubs and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Whenever you walk into the room, David's full attention is on you as you are his world.  Little does he know now (although I'm sure he'll discover soon), he is your world too.  I'm blessed to be your wife, best-friend, life-partner and most recently, your baby mama. ::snap snap::  

Thanks for being the best dad ever to our blessing.

Trevor really is the best.


Fatherhood at a Distance:  Dad's Screenshots of David + I






True love... taking Trevor into the hospital bathroom with me while mom watches D.














Our very 1st family Christmas photo 









Trevor's wallpaper on his SA phone.  Intentionally, the same as mine at the time 
In a moment of intense postpartum pain.









All day, everyday. 































Coming home!




+

















Monday, 18 June 2018:  Trevor Submits Air Force Forms ✓









Melts my heart to see him interact with his cousins!





Comforting an overly tired bubs on the drive home.




Tuesday, 19 June 2018:  29 Weeks Old!










+



















Always will.


















A token from my time working at Carter's.  A gift for our someday baby.






No comments:

Post a Comment