David's 7-Month Update
- Summer --> sweat! Baby boy is sweating buckets!
- Loves peek-a-boo and being thrown in the air.
- Smiles at our cat Zelda and excitedly watches her.
- Developed pincer grip.
- Says "Mama" every once in awhile but otherwise babbles.
- Plays with his own hair while nursing.
- Passes objects from one hand to the other (bilateral coordination).
- Not yet crawling but continues to scoot (army crawl) occasionally, spins often.
- Soft, easy-going demeanor, as always.
- Oddly enough, he developed a mole on his scalp (which I also have), and an oblong birthmark on his upper thigh which, once again, I also share in the same location.
- Tummy-time is the saving grace for trapped gas. We keep gripe water on hand as well.
- Concerning solids, we're sticking with the basics and introducing slowly. So far he's tasted:
- Avocado
- Mango, blackberries + spinach puree
- Bread
- Chicken
- Puffs
- We give him solids once or twice per day, although usually just once per day right before bathtime. Ever since turning 6 months, bathtime is part of David's nightly routine and we don't skip it.
- He loves Dr. Seuss' ABC book--possibly because it has his name in it, who knows? Also enjoys
- Trevor discovered a video of Elmo singing the alphabet in Spanish and sings it with David alllllll the time. It's our new dance groove!
- Lifts apart the alphabet tiles and takes out the letter inside. Trevor and I joke that he likes to tinker like his daddy.
- Wraps his arms around my next and tucks his head under my chin--I'm loving these hugs from my son!
- Sits unassisted like a champ.
- Is in size 3 diapers and 9-month sleepers.
- Bumpy, rough skin on his face. Ever since our trip to Colorado bubs seems to have trouble with dry cheeks. We've tried Cetpahil, Aquaphor and Aveeno but he hasn't completely cleared up. He and I are often snuggling cheek-to-cheek so I've stopped wearing my facial llotion in an attempt to see if his skin clears up.
- Blisters on pinkie toes. Not totally sure how it happened but we suspect it's from all the kicking his does in his sleeper or from bouncing in the jumper. Either way, both blisters cleared up nicely and have not since returned.
- No sign of teeth yet but has had a few uncomfortable, possibly-teething days... Loves to chew on his Sophie.
- Gets a big kick out of bouncing in a jumper (David is very fortunate to receive this one from his cousin, Jake. Thank you, Anna!).
- He use to be our quiet listener but now he has lots to say!
- Has been trouble napping as easily as he used to. When he does nap, he's asleep for a shorter duration of time.
- Places a paci in his mouth. Not a new occurrence but I believe I forgot to mention it sooner.
- Loves when I sing the Mommy-original songs I sang to him as a newborn.
- After Trevor returned home, some of David + my everyday endeavors fell by the wayside as, lucky for me, Trevor took over much of the diaper changes--no complains here! Without realizing it, diaper changes are our primetime for singing together. So now we're finding new opportunities to sing in other situations too.
- Side-note: It's so precious to see his face light up when I sing one of my made-up, middle-of-the-night diaper change songs--he totally remembers it!
- Since turning six months old, he sleeps in an upgraded pack n' play bassinet while swaddled in the LoveToDream 50/50 swaddle.
Mommy's 7-Month Postpartum Update
Body
So, funny thing about being a FTM + trying to work-out... it's challenging. Albeit, I'm sure it would be easier to exercise at home (not currently an option) or have Trevor watch the baby during my workouts. We typically exercise at the same time as to get it over with quickly. And we motivate each other along the way.
We lasted two weeks until we switched back to solely walking. About 3 days in, spotting began and became heavier as time went on. This whole postpartum body is full of surprises and still foreign to me so I do my best to go easy on myself.
As far as pain goes, I'm pretty much out of the woods! Occasionally I'll feel some soreness around the left-side laceration as I'm sitting up but I'm betting that will never go away. Overall I'm back to how I felt pre-pregnancy, just a little banged up.
Weight: 124lbs (+7lbs prepregnancy; -124lbs postpregnancy)
Weight: 124lbs (+7lbs prepregnancy; -124lbs postpregnancy)
Mind+Spirit
It's tough not being in our own place yet. Guilt is something I deal with on a daily basis being that I'm unable to provide more space for David. For many reasons I'm eager to leave. With that said, I'm working on positive affirmations and doing my best to dwell on all the good things around me.
When it comes to leaving my mom, our church family and a few select friends, I'm sad to say goodbye. I hate being responsible for taking away Grandmama's cuddles and quality time with baby boy. And after five and half years in Colorado, it's tough missing out on special events and moments with friends. But the wild adventurer in me feels stagnate and is ready for new sights so, please people, come visit us!
For the past few months I've been studying RIE (Resources for Infant Educators*) parenting techniques. Trevor and I seek to make conscious, intentional and respectful decisions for our son. We see him as a whole, unique person who whose desires and feelings are valid. We're working on taking an observational approach to his play & development, which allows him to excel at his own pace. I's a pleasure to watch him encountering new aspects of his environment. He's so little; everything around him is new.
The trouble lately has been instructing others to honor his individual pace as well. Folks have their own beliefs on how children should be raised and to counteract these beliefs often results in judgment and criticism. Even so, we're carrying on. We're doing our best to tactfully intervene when people interfere with David, and especially when they unintentionally objectify him.
*Resources for readers interested in RIE:
1. Dear Parent, Caring for Infants with Respect - Magda Gerber
2. Theory of Objectivist Parenting - Roslyn Ross
3. Elevating Childcare: A Guide to Respectful Parenting - Janet Lansbury
4. No Bad Kids: Toddler Discipline without Shame - Janet Lansbury
For the past few months I've been studying RIE (Resources for Infant Educators*) parenting techniques. Trevor and I seek to make conscious, intentional and respectful decisions for our son. We see him as a whole, unique person who whose desires and feelings are valid. We're working on taking an observational approach to his play & development, which allows him to excel at his own pace. I's a pleasure to watch him encountering new aspects of his environment. He's so little; everything around him is new.
The trouble lately has been instructing others to honor his individual pace as well. Folks have their own beliefs on how children should be raised and to counteract these beliefs often results in judgment and criticism. Even so, we're carrying on. We're doing our best to tactfully intervene when people interfere with David, and especially when they unintentionally objectify him.
*Resources for readers interested in RIE:
1. Dear Parent, Caring for Infants with Respect - Magda Gerber
2. Theory of Objectivist Parenting - Roslyn Ross
3. Elevating Childcare: A Guide to Respectful Parenting - Janet Lansbury
4. No Bad Kids: Toddler Discipline without Shame - Janet Lansbury





































No comments:
Post a Comment