Tuesday, December 5, 2017

1 Week Old

Contemplating his first week of life.

A whole week has passed and I'm happily lost in an abyss of baby bliss with David.  Adjusting to life at home after the hospital has been surprisingly easy as he and I opt to simply rest... a lot.  I find there are limits to what my recovering body can handle and right now standing for long periods of time is a no-no.  If I spend too much time walking, the area around my stitches throbs.  Before I left the hospital Dr. Friedman gave me specific instructions not to do any extra walking.  As much as I'd like to more active... I just can't.  My body just can't.  And with a newborn to take care of, I'm happy to be resting at home with him.

This sweet baby of mine makes being a first-time mom a breeze!  He's so easy-going and patient, albeit for a newborn.  He's not fussy at all and although he loves to be held and cuddled, he's amicable about napping in his own bassinet--no co-sleeping necessary.  To say he's easing me into parenthood is an understatement.  I feel so blessed!  Every day we pray "together" and I give thanks for him.  He's made me into a mommy.

I'll tell you, I'm getting pretty good at doing things one-handed!  And, not gonna lie, I have successfully used my feet to grab a water bottle.  Are you impressed?  One thing that sucks is nursing, no pun intended.  David has a great latch--super strong from the get-go!  But man, that first initial suction is no joke!  As he continues to nurse the pain subsides, thankfully.  But that first latch is almost unbearable at times.  Towards the end of the week I developed nodules only on the right side of my right breast.  Applying heat and massaging the area has yet to make any lasting change.

David's First Week of Life
28 November 2017:  David's Birthday, Breast Crawl + APGAR Score
As you may recall from David's Birth Story, I felt my belly shift and empty as David made his grand entrance into our lives.  Albeit painful, it's an amazing feeling to feel your baby being born.  To sense the gains from each push.  To feel the baby glide out after his shoulders emerge then to be greeted by his warm little body laid on my chest.

In the video footage my mom captured, David can be seen doing the breast crawl!  His little body wiggled all the way up towards my left shoulder until his bum was near my collarbone.  As I'm chatting with my mom and he's resting on my chest, David continually lifts his head towards my face seemingly to catch a glimpse of my familiar voice.  Speaking of familiar voices, my mom was such a helpful presence in the delivery room.  I was a mess.  The contractions were stacked so closely together and all I could do was cry out to her.  She rubbed my back and arms and hearing her voice comforted me.

After two hours of skin-to-skin bonding time, David was whisked away to be weighed, measured and evaluated.  As previously mentioned, his birth weight and height was 7lbs 3oz and 20 inches, respectfully.  His APGAR score (evaluated once only) was 9.9 and apparently at Little Company of Mary Hospital, this is the highest a baby can score.  According to the nurses, the hospital doesn't evaluate any baby at a 10 for liability reasons.




Early Morning Snuggles

29 November 2017:  Circumcision, Baby's Photoshoot, Trevor's Tactical Diaper Bag + Hospital Sponge Bath (1 day old)
The next morning my mom accompanied David during the circumcision as I stayed back to rest.   The surgery was successful and has since healed well.  The doctor who performed the operation (who was also the on-call doctor the day I delivered David) came into my room afterwards to discuss the details of the surgery.  As he walked into the room he said with jest, "So ya just couldn't wait for me to get here, huh?"  We both laughed and he commented, "Your body is one heck of a baby-maker.  You ought to have 10!" 

Around noontime BellyBaby Photography visited to snap a few pictures of David.  In all honesty, I wasn't planning on purchasing any of the photos.  However, after I sent Trevor a link to view them he called and without even a "Hello" he says, "Get me my pictures.  I love them!"  I'm so grateful for his desire to splurge on these prints as I've been feeling guilty for not taking more newborn photos of the baby.  

As an early Christmas gift my mom ordered a tactical diaper bag for our military man and it arrived the morning after David was born--perfect timing!  If you have time, read through the description on ManCrates' website.  It's hilariously awesome.  You won't regret it.  Although he says it's a little small, Trev digs the bag and all of its pockets.  He's been reading the book that comes with the set and has been sharing with me the tips and tricks he's learning.

Right after his circumcision



BellaBaby Photoshoot

Singing "Los Pollitos Dicen"


💜💜💜

Wednesday Visitors

Thank you, BFF!


Hospital Sponge Bath



Nothing beats getting your hair washed!

Drying off


30 November 2017:  Hearing Test + Home Bound Pictures (2 days old)
Results of David's Hearing Test:  Passed!



Thursday Visitors


Heading Home


Embarrassing my child already!



1 December 2017: 1st Pediatric Appointment + Milk Supply Comes In (3 days old)
And as the month of December rolled in, so did my milk supply!  Three days after David's birth I woke up to two 2-pound boobs.  I'm joking... but maybe I'm not?  These things are heavy!  I've been wearing these nighttime nursing bras to bed and they're comfy but not super supportive.

Upon leaving the hospital the on-call nurse evaluated David at having 5% weight loss (from his birth weight).  However, according to the pediatrician on Friday, David was down to 10% weight loss.  She pressed me to begin supplementing feedings with formula.  Being that we set another appointment in 4 days and my milk supply rushed in on the day of the appointment with the pediatrician, I chose to continue exclusively breastfeeding. 

2 December 2017: (4 days old)


David turns over to his side at 4 days old!


3 December 2017:  Baby Binkies + First Diaper Blowout (5 days old)
We received a ton of pacifiers from a"Guess How Many Paci's" game my mom hosted for the October baby shower.  So needless to say, I have a good selection of binkies for baby to try out.  Trevor and I hadn't yet fully discussed how we felt about introducing pacifiers to our baby.  I worked with kids who were inseparable from their bink-bink and really struggled entering school because of it.  Other kids never even touched a binky.

I packed a small variety in my diaper bag to try it out at the hospital--which I'm glad I did.  The baby and I have just begun learning about each other, but so far I (sometimes) use a binkie (if he'll take it) during diaper changes and when he's falling asleep for the night.  Once while Trevor and I were skyping he caught glimpse of David sucking on a paci and thought it was the cutest thing he'd ever seen. 


Lesson learned in parenting:  If you lay down a brand new white plushie blanket for photoshoot purposes, baby will poop all over it.  Yes, he was wearing a diaper.  No, he hadn't yet had a blow-out so... perfect timing?  Also worth noting:  His poops changed from brown-tarish to seedy yellow...







4 December 2017: (6 days old)
This photo is extra special for two reasons:

#1:  He's wearing my favorite newborn-sized sleeper.  It's the booties.
#2:  Trevor showed this photo to his crew by asking, "Hey guys, wanna see what a dinosaur looks like?!"



5 December 2017:  2nd Pediatric Appointment, Urgent Care Visit + First Sponge Bath at Home (7 days/1 week old)
Our baby boy gained 9 ounces in 4 days!  Holy moly!  The pediatrician inquired, "His weight is looking great!  Did you supplement?!"  Nope.  With an increase in my milk supply, I just fed him anytime he wanted for as long as he wanted.  So grateful that my body is able to continue sustaining David.

 



With an aching body and a possible popped stitch, I checked into urgent care after the ped appointment while mom stayed with David in the Jeep.  Doctor looked me over:  No sign of a popped stitch.  No sign of infection.  Noticeable nodules on right breast.  She encouraged me to continue applying heat, massaging the area and to take IB Profin regularly to reduce inflammation and assist with pain.  Overall it's reassuring to know my stitches are in tact and there's no sign of infection down there.

Baby's First At-Home Sponge Bath (Not as enjoyable as at the hospital, apparently!)





Post-Bath Coziness


One Week Old Photos








One-Week Postpartum Updates




And how about one more for old times' sake?
Body
  •  Breastfeeding hit my body like a freight train.  These poor girls are battered and bruised--literally, bruised!  The lactation specialists consulted me on how to develop a better latch but I didn't find much relief until my last on-call nurse worked with me.  By far, this nurse was my favorite and I feel we really bonded. 
  •  During my nightly shower, I reached down and palpated my stitches.  Well, just one set as I couldn't find the other.  It hurts down there, guys.  I haven't been taking any pain medication regularly and that's a mistake.  For now, it hurts to simply sit down, sneeze and cough.  Sometimes I get lost staring at David in disbelief that I've actually given birth to him... then I feel the soreness in my vagina and remember OH YEAH.  I DID.
  • Phantom kicks, y'all.  They're real.
  • On a happy note, piriformis pain is gone!  Haven't had a flare-up since delivering David.
  • Tailbone hurts so bad!
  • The uterine contractions during breastfeeding are killer.
  • Weight:  137lbs. (+20 pre-pregnancy, -11 end of pregnancy).
Mind + Spirit
  • Absolutely no signs of postpartum depression, if you're wondering.  Thank God! In fact for me, it's quite the opposite.  I feel energized and so very happy.  I'm ripped, torn, battered and bruised where the sun doesn't shine and yet I am so very, very happy.  Becoming this little guy's mommy has been my favorite adventure so far and I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm enjoying every. single. minute. of it.  
  • As mentioned in my last pregnant post, my nightly shower routine is my bread and butter for relaxation.  It's funny how something so simple and routine can be so rejuvenating and necessary.  After diapering and feeding David, I hand him over to my mom while I jump in the shower for solid 10 minutes.  The hot water, mixed with my favorite body wash, helps to soothe those nodules I've developed.
Hospital Bag + Postpartum Must-Haves
To my first-time mommy (and daddy) friends out there, I've put together a list of things I highly recommend you invest in.  Of course, these are just helpful suggestions based on the experience I've just had and the road to recovery I'm now on. 

Hospital Bag
For Baby
  • For sake of photos, consider packing:
    •  Your favorite baby blanket + swaddle blankets
    •  A special going-home outfit
  • A nail file (as opposed to nail clippers).  Less daunting for first-time parents.
  • A warm beanie for baby.  The first one we got at the hospital was extremely thin. 
For Momma
Not sure about other hospitals but LCOM provides a toiletry bag for moms.  Being that my water broke at 38-weeks pregnant, this ended up being a huge lifesaver for me.  However, if I had to do it all over again, I would still pack my own stuff, i.e.:  Deodorant, shampoo & conditioner, etc.  Other than the basics, here are a few things you might consider packing:
  •  Chapstick
  •  Camera, tripod, extra battery and chargers
  •  Nursing shirt & nursing bra(s)
  •  Robe
  •  Easy-to-slip-on shoes or sandals
Sounds bizarre to say this but... I wouldn't bother packing underwear.  The hospital gives you disposable mesh underwear (because you'll be bleeding a ton!) and I left the hospital wearing a fresh pair of those bad boys.  So, yeah.  Quite frankly, conventional undies just took up space in my hospital bag.

Newborn + Postpartum Must-Haves
Before you leave the hospital, grab the peri bottle, dermoplast, medicated pads and as many mesh undies as they'll give you. 
  •  Mesh undies.  You may recall these from a previous post.  I'm so glad I bought a pack of these!  I ended up getting an additional pack to use while my stitches are still in.  Baby and I are both in diapers 😂 but I don't care.  These are quick, easy and sanitary. 
  •  Sleep n' Play PJ's from Carter's.  A super warm, soft and easy outfit for the newborn stage.
  •  Supportive nursing bra.  This one by Motherhood Maternity is comfy enough to sleep in!
  •  If you're keen on giving pacifiers, David likes these by Nuk
  • Boppy Nursing Pillow.  Also invest in the waterproof liner.
  • Swaddleme Original Swaddle Wraps.
  • Nipple Cream.  
  • An infant carrier for outings.
  • Muslin swaddle blankets.
  • To ensure water would be easily accessible during feedings, I stock-piled a huge supply of 16-ounce Arrowhead water bottles near my bed (where I planned on breastfeeding).  This has been a life-saver!  Without having Trevor nearby to run and fill up a glass for me, I just reach over and grab what I need when I need it.
Nice-To-Haves

No comments:

Post a Comment