Tuesday, December 26, 2017

4 Weeks Old

Quarterback stance?

Our little man is almost a month old!  He'll officially be a month old on Thursday the 28th and yes, there will be an additional blogpost that day.  :)

As it turns out, David doesn't hate diaper changes--he just hates having to wait to eat during a diaper change.  My first nurse at the hospital explained a diaper change should precede a feeding and I just stuck with that routine when we settled in at home.  Now, if he's crying and I know he's hungry, I either just feed him a bit, change him, then pop him back on the boob or I'll just feed him fully and change him afterwards.  It's been nice having him be more content during the cleanings so I'm glad we've found a better arrangement.

Along those same lines, he's starting to enjoy baths more!  My mom covered the first few baths as she requested "Grandmama gets the first bath!" which somehow encompassed the first two--not that I complained!  I enjoyed watching and learning from her.  However, she keeps the water a little too cool for David's liking and although she heard me when I suggested warming it a bit... she carried on.  So once I took over I heated up the water just a touch--not hot by any means, boom!  Baby boy enjoys his baths for a bit longer.  I'm excited for the day he'll play with bath toys in the tub and relish the experience even more.

20 December 2017:  (3w1d old)

Anna put this together for me!  The top picture is me around 1-2 months old and the bottom, as you know, is David at 2 weeks old.

21  December 2017:  (3w2d old)

While resting my hand underneath him, a drop of milk fell onto my finger.

22 December 2017:  (3w3d old)





23 December 2017:  (3w4d old)








"Talk to the hand!"


24 December 2017:  Christmas Eve + David Meets Grandpa & Grandma Coles  and Aunt Desiree  (3w5d old)








With Aunt Desiree

Kisses from cousin Madison!



Sweet big cousin!

David + Jacob;  Our biblical name boys are just few weeks shy of 9 months apart!






Surrounded by loving hands

Some of the babies of the family! (David's "o" lips!)

25 December 2017:  David's Very First Christmas!  (3w6d old)
David's very first Christmas looked much like every other day of his short little life so far as he's (obviously) too young to partake in any of the traditions.  We skyped with Trevor a few times and then took a walk to the nearby park to take a few pictures in his Christmas outfit.  Trevor's parents and sister gifted David a Mickey Mouse "My First Christmas" Santa hat and socks set so those items were incorporated in the pictures as well.  I'm thinking of making a special ornament for next year--perhaps one that reads "My 1st Christmas with Daddy!" or something along those lines.  Trevor and I have been discussing what holiday traditions we want to implement for our family.

David has a few presents (things that he'll play with during his first year) but we've decided we're going to "open" those gifts when Trevor returns.














26 December 2017:  Four Weeks Old!  


Matching goofy faces-totally unintentional!  Like Mother, like son, I guess.




Can we talk about his eyebrow arch?  He's always raising a brow!

David's Four-Week Updates
  • Since the day he was born he's been able to lift his head up--albeit wobbly!  He's getting stronger and is able to hold it a bit steadier for longer periods of time.
  • He's very alert.
  • Started laying him on his belly on my chest--he seems to like it.
  • Eye control is improving.
  • I've been administering Vitamin D drops since his one-week pediatric appointment.
  • Since the 1st or 2nd week I've been singing made-up songs to David. They're lighthearted and funny songs and Trevor songs them with me sometimes. 
  • Baby acne breakout.  Possibly from applying a non-scented baby lotion to his face last week.
  • Tried the Halo swaddles this week as he was busting out of the swaddleme ones.  So far they're working out well.
  • Read his first book to him:  "Sweet Dreams, Little Rainbow Fish" which is the book I picked up from Chick-Fil-A during our first deployment date.
  • Hiccups are pretty intense after feedings if I lay him down afterwards (even after being burped) so I ordered a rock-n-play to use.  Hopefully the incline helps soothe him.
  • He noticed his mobile for the first time this week! 

Four-Weeks Postpartum Update



Body
Breastfeeding is much better!  Letdown seems to be strong as David has coughed a bit right after latching on.  Like last week, sometimes the initial latch hurts a bit as David's suction is strong but beyond that, it's becoming enjoyable!  He hums a bit and I delight in all of the little drinking and swallowing noises he makes during feedings.  His post-nursing smiles are extra sweet throughout the day. 

Ever since delivering David I've been clumsy!  Body is still adjusting to the change in my center of gravity.

It still hurts down there.  Sometimes it just aches!  I'm finding it hard to believe that I'll be able to start exercising in two weeks.

Weight:  130lbs.  (+13lbs pre-pregnancy; -18lbs end of pregnancy).

Mind + Spirit
I've started wearing makeup when I know I'm leaving the house, which isn't all that often.  Even still, I find I enjoy the process of putting on makeup now.  It feels like "me" time.

It's an interesting juggle of emotions to want each day to slow down so that David can stay little longer while also wishing I could fast-forward to the moment Trevor comes home and rejoins our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment