Tuesday, January 9, 2018

6 Weeks Old

 

My smiley baby!

Baby boy is changing!  At the start of the week he seemed clingier so I scoured google for information on 5-week old babies.  Sure enough, 5-week-olds display The Three C's:  Clinginess, crying and crankiness.  He exhibited more crying and clinginess this past week but I wouldn't describe him as cranky.  According to the website he's gearing up for a major growth spurt and brain development so he'll be fussier and hungrier next week.  As soon as I can clear some space on my phone or tablet (none available because of zillions of newborn photos!), I'll download the Wonder Weeks app to be aware of each approaching developmental leap.

Earlier in the week he wanted nothing to do with any of his baby seats.  We own a rock n' play, lounger, rocker, swing and bassinet and none of those things soothed him.  As soon as he's wrapped up in my arms, he's calm.  And some folks are quick to say, "Stop it, you're spoiling him!  Let him cry it out!"  But others encourage me to "Enjoy him while he's little!  They grow so fast!" and so I made the decision to enjoy him.  And really, he's an infant and he needs to be held.  Period.  Beyond that, my mission is still to soak up every second of this short time I have with his newborn self.  And even past the newborn stage, you'll find me here; cradling my little son.

While it's true he's been a bit more clingy, I'm more than okay with it.  My new favorite thing is the way I hold him while he burps.  As I cradle him up against my chest, his chin rests just above my shoulder and he wraps his arm around my arm.  It's like a little baby hug after each feeding!  There's been no shortage of snuggles this past week, let me tell you!

He's holding up his head like a champ!  Trevor beamed with pride as he witnessed how strong our little boy is.  Speaking of Trevor, he also "joined" us for David's bath time this week!  Even from afar Trevor is an incredible daddy.  He soaks up all the little joys about David.  As David's little toes peered in and out of the water Trevor commented how much he loves seeing them.  He's eager to take care of David in a hands-on way and although I enjoy the time spent with my little boy, I'm okay with sharing diaper-duty responsibilities. 

3 January 2018:  Gifts From Norway, DWC Enrolled in DEERS + First Public Restroom Diaper Change (5w1d old)


My sweet Norweigan friend Netta sent this adorable outfit for baby David!  She knit it herself and it is so soft and I'm in love with the color.  It's just perfect!  Cannot wait until it fits him!  Thank you, Netta!  I love it so much!

David was added onto Trevor's DEERS account which, for my non-military friends, means the Air Force now recognizes him as Trevor's dependent.  I had 60 days to enroll him so I'm glad it's done and over with.

I suppose it's not that big of a deal but it happened today--the dreaded public restroom diaper change. 😂 Luckily, I had my diaper changing pad because it's much comfier than a hard countertop and also because public restrooms are nasty.

Resting on my lap while I enrolled him in DEERS

Grabbed In N Out after LA AFB.  David started crying right as I got in line.  Doesn't seem to like it when the car stops moving.

Clearly not impressed by the cheeseburger I ordered.


1st venture to Trader Joes with baby in tow!

Settling down for the night.


Or maybe not.

4 January 2018:  (5w2d old)

Clingy Cuddles:  I'm privileged to be his invaluable comforter and nurture.


5 January 2018:  (5w3d old)







Cool Guy Moonwalks

6 January 2018:  (5w4d old)



Multi-Tasking Marla

:]

Baby-Wearing FTW


7 January 2018:  1st Pumping Experience + Double Swaddling (5w5d old)

Left bottle = Left breast;  Right bottle = Right breast.

Not that I can compare the Spectra S2 to any other pump (as this is the only pump I've tried), but so far I like it!  It's pretty easy to use and the special bra I bought helps me to be hands-free while I pump.  The left bottle represents the milk extracted from my left breast (4 ounces) and the right represents my right breast (1 ounce).  As you can probably tell, I had already nursed David from my right breast.  Even though I pumped soon after I fed him, by his next feeding I didn't have enough to satiate him.  So at my second attempt this week, I pumped only my left side for 10 minutes and received 5 ounces.

Perhaps not ironically, my left breast is larger than my right.  Not sure if they'll even-out but I began nursing from my right before my left.  After his birth, both breasts were equally huge.  One of the nurses instructed me to press my right breast down so it wasn't blocking baby's nostrils but, as you may recall, I developed clogged ducts alongside that breast.  Once unclogged, it was dramatically smaller the next morning.


When using a single swaddle (either swaddleme originals or the halo sleepsack swaddle), David averaged about 5 hours straight per night with an additional 3 hours after his early morning diaper change and feeding.  David is a bit of a Houdini when it comes to swaddles so after a bit of research I decided to try double-swaddling. 

By using two different, light-weight cotton (not fleece) swaddles and keeping the temperature in the room low,  he stays warm and secure without risk of overheating. So far, so good! We gained an additional hours of sleep and he wakes up so happy and well-rested.  Well, we both do actually, ha! I usually wake up a bit before he does and some nights I wake up at our previous 5-hour mark which gives me a chance to check on him. 




David, I can't get enough of you.


8 January 2018:  Newspaper Fail  (5w6d old)



Trevor ordered a copy of the November 28th Daily Breeze and it arrived ruined by the rain.  They may have one more copy available so Trevor's working on having them send it to us.

9 January 2018:  David is 6 Weeks Old! + 6-Week Postpartum OBGYN appointment
Uh, some women actually want to have sex this soon after giving birth?!  No thank you!  Granted, my husband's not even here so perhaps that's another reason I'm not thinking about it-hah!  But let's be real, if he were here he'd still have to wait.

Dr. Friedman says everything is healing well although I have some remaining stitches on both tears.  This recovery is no joke.  I had such a quick delivery so recovery has been much worse than actual labor and childbirth.

As Dr. Friedman escorted me to his office he stopped to introduce me to staff I hadn't met, "This is the mom that had the world's fastest labor!  Now she has the world's cutest baby!"

Having worked in the healthcare field, I understand he's mandated to council me regarding birth control but dang.  He spent a great deal of time trying to get me on the pill--maybe he gets a kickback or something.  I found myself repeating to him that my husband and I know how to avoid pregnancy (as we waited almost 7 years to conceive) but he insists women are most fertile post-delivery.  If all goes well, Trevor and I may try for baby #2 around David's first birthday--or maybe a few months later, we'll see.  With that said, there's no need to begin an invasive form of birth control for now.

Even though I've been cleared to exercise again I'm going to wait and slowly ease into it.  My body just isn't ready yet.

1st appointment without my mom.  Making good use out of the stroller.




Hovering hands while sleeping (moro reflex)




This little koala is a special keepsake (mostly for me right now-ha!)  My Grandmama adored koalas, and because a lot of David's special items are B&W, I had to get this for him!







6 Weeks Postpartum Updates






Body
  • Vagina hurts less, hallelujah!  Some stitches remain on both tears but I'm feeling a lot less pain overall.
  • Ever since delivering David, I've had trouble holding in my urine if I'm in the bathroom getting ready to pee, hah.  Weak pelvic floor, I presume.  Sorry I forgot to mention it sooner.  Blaming it on having "Mommy Brain."
  • Mommy brain, y'all!  It's real and it's frustrating.  Sometimes I can recall things easily and sometimes I...
  • Weight:   128.  (+11lbs pre-pregnancy; -20lbs end of pregnancy).
Mind + Spirit
  • After taking David out and about with me I noticed how defensive I can be.  Strangers will approach me and ask how old he is and, quite honestly, I can feel myself gearing up for a snarky remark after I respond accordingly.  Working in retail for over 5 years has exposed me to the snarkiest of snarky remarks made about mothers to mothers by other mothers.  The level of judgment is ridiculous.  So far I haven't received any negative comments but a few unfavorable expressions--as if taking him outside is appalling.  Staying home 100% of the time isn't an option while Trevor is away--nor would I prefer it.  I still need groceries, people.
  • In terms of Trevor's deployment, the end is in sight!  And I'm so grateful.  Please be praying for him in the next few weeks as he begins traveling home.

No comments:

Post a Comment