Funny how, with the regards to the last 8 weeks since David's birth, time with him has flown by. I look back at photos of him and marvel at how much he's changed. In disbelief I question, has it really been 8 weeks since the day he was born? Since seeing his little face for the very first time as his head rests against my chest?
From our stay in the hospital to settling in at home, we've managed our own routine. The diaper changes are endless but so too are the kisses, snuggles and in-awe moments each day. David eased me into motherhood with his easy-going temperament and by sleeping a solid 5 hours each night. I'm grateful to God with how well I've been provided for. I've truly been blessed with this baby.
But when I think of Trevor, time slows down. Last I saw him I was 18 weeks newly pregnant and barely boasting a baby bump. He catered to me during the first trimester and I feared continuing on without him. If not for our faith, I would have fallen apart. The past 28 weeks without Trevor have been long, the latter 8 more so.
The dawn of January began a sort-of final countdown for Trevor's homecoming--although we hadn't yet received a reliable date for his return. Emotionally, it was hard on me to speculate dates in case I was wrong. So we tried our best to stay open-minded and to pray. Each night (morning for him) we spent time catching-up with the day's events, allowing for Trevor to see the baby. As we signed off Trevor would add, "One day down, my love."
One day down of how many? We didn't know but even still, it was one. day. down.
When he was busy with work and unable to chat at night I would receive an email from him: One day down. This new short sentence became a mantra for us, and a powerful one at that. While the stress of not knowing when to expect him home overwhelmed me, the simple acknowledgment of one day down returns and resounds to give me hope.
And now here we are. Finally on the brink of his homecoming return and not only is it one day down but it's the last day. He comes home tomorrow!!!
I'm eager for him to meet our son and to watch the depth of their bond unfold from this point on. This is only the beginning of a life we've always dreamed of: Being parents, being together and as always, falling more in-love at every turn. And I'm eager to have my friend back. I've missed the one who gives the best bear hugs and listens without judgement or criticism. We joke about it but Trevor really is the best--I have spent many nights thanking the Lord that he's mine and wishing for others who are searching for love to find their very own Trevor. And it's true, everyone should have a Trevor.
Lucky for David, he gets to call this man of mine his daddy. Cheers to one day down.
17 January 2018: (7w1d old)
![]() |
| Christmas present sneak peek! |
18 January 2018: (7w2d old)
19 January 2018: (7w3d old)
20 January 2018: Government Shutdown (7w4d old)
Goes without saying that for that past few months I've been anxiously anticipating Trevor's return date--I just wanted (read: needed) to know the actual date. While the military keeps folks in the dark about the true day of return, we had a general idea. I started checking off each day on a calendar to no avail. What was the date?! And then, a week after finding out he's coming home in two weeks, there's a government shutdown. Once I heard the news my heart sank as I feared he would be delayed in Saudi Arabia unnecessarily longer than expected. I was beside myself with frustration. Here we were, finally two days out before he leaves for the USA and a potential interference occurs.
Thankfully, the shutdown had no effect on his departure as he already has his ticket in hand. Only the Colorado storms can prevent him from arriving on time.
21 January 2018: Trevor Leaves Al Udeid --> Flies Into Ireland + David's Sweet Smiles (7w5d old)
During the weeks leading up to Trevor's departure he took pleasure in packing and repacking his bags. Readying himself by organizing his things brought excitement in anticipation of finally coming home.
In his room on base, a picture frame donning a photo of David's first ultrasound rests atop his wall locker; a reminder of what's waiting for him back in the USA.
(picture to come)
![]() |
| Happy to be heading home! |
![]() |
| ✌ Saudi Arabia |
Trevor flew into Ireland during his 32-hour commute home. He picked up this special bodysuit for the baby, just in time for St. Patrick's Day!
David loves to smile, especially first thing in the morning! Or in this case, right before his 3am diaper change. It's the best time of the day and a sweet treat for this tired, sometimes frustrated, momma.
22 January 2018: David Finds His Thumb, Diaper Dilemma + Trevor Lands on US Soil (7w6d old)
![]() |
| Post-Bath Snuggles |
So size 1 diapers don't seem to fit any longer, at least not length-wise. He's been a bit too small for size 2 diapers weight-wise and the only diapers that fit him are from the pricey Seventh Generation brand. I went ahead and bought a box of Sam's Club's size 2s so hopefully the struggle ends as he grows into them.
After 30+ hours spent traveling abroad, Trevor finally landed in the good ol' USA! Receiving a call from his US cell phone brought forth a sigh of relief. His long journey home is just about over.
23 January 2018: 8 Weeks Old!
8 Week Postpartum Updates
Body
I'm eager for Trevor to come home so my body can finally rest a bit. I'm still in pain down there.
Painful poops. I've started taking an off-brand of Miralax.
Two faint, small stretch marks appeared on my left boob! Minus the abs I had, pregnancy hadn't left a mark on me but breastfeeding has. These gals have definitely stretched! Here's hoping they somehow fade with time.
Mind + Spirit
My mind is focused on Trevor's homecoming tomorrow! I'm excited for him to hold our son for the first time and for us to continue our lives together.








































No comments:
Post a Comment